Saturday, August 29, 2020

covid notes 31

At March’s beginning, the dentist said that the hairline fracture we’d been watching on that back molar meant I should either replace the filling or get a crown and I decided on the crown because I had insurance and the procedure was scheduled for the 26th and then everything shut down, and the appointment was tentatively rescheduled once, maybe twice, and then they weren’t going to call again until the office was really open, and meanwhile Tim lost his job and I had to call the dentist and find out what happened if I lost my insurance, which was potentially complicated, but in the end I decided to pay for COBRA, which shockingly turned out to be my cheapest option, and the procedure happened on June 8, 13 weeks later, and he put the temporary crown on (with the help of his covid-terrified assistant), and the next day part of it broke off, and three days later the rest of it came off at my friend’s socially distant retirement party, so it may have been the most temporary crown of all time, and I went crownless for two more weeks, but then finally got the thing, some glittery gold in the back of my mouth.

3 comments:

  1. I had to get something like that after my lockdown too. Unfortunately, our national health doesn't cover dental (after the age of 18), and our insurance no longer covers it. He did a temporary fix that was hundreds rather than thousands. I'm hoping temporary will last years, not days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping we have no dental or eye catastrophes before January because I was the one with the dental and vision insurance for Dean and me and when I asked Dean if I should get COBRA he said no, he'd take care of it at work since he could change his insurance when I retired but last night (the last day of the insurance) he said he'd not changed it and didn't seem interested in doing so and then said we'd be okay for four months. Knock on wood....

    ReplyDelete