Sunday, August 23, 2020

covid notes 29

Sometime in May, the bookstore opened its doors again: masking and social distancing required, number of customers limited, the one-way path through the store defined. You’d think I would want to get there for the books, but my desire was more spec-ific: readers. My presbyopic eyes have been getting worse and worse. The bookstore had better-looking readers to purchase than the ones in the grocery store. But truth be told, I was afraid to try them on in the grocery store. So many people touching them. So I waited.

 

By the time the bookstore opened, I was desperate.

 

Of course it was also risky for me to be trying on readers in the bookstore, and it was risky for those after me trying on the ones I did not purchase. (I do not claim to be logical or consistent. At the time, though, foot traffic had been much lighter at the closed-for-weeks bookstore.)

 

And what a relief for a couple more pairs! (I am wearing one right now.) I could use a pair for each room in the house, of course. I am becoming that person.

5 comments:

  1. I am also becoming that person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am beyond that person! I have 4 pairs of glasses in rotation on any given day (unless I don't wear my contact lenses). 1 regular pair for regular sight (my favorites) and I take them off to be able to see up close; 1 pair computer glasses; 1 pair reading glasses for when I wear my contact lenses and 1 pair computer glasses for when I wear my contact lenses. I probably have 30 pairs of glasses of all sorts, not counting sunglasses, all over the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have all in one progressive glasses. One pair normal, one pair backup (that no longer looks good now my hair is grey), and one pair of sunglasses. They're expensive, but they're always on my nose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how Tim manages! I still wear contacts and the progressive contacts didn't work for me—I decided I preferred grabbing reading glasses, at least for now.

      Delete