Thursday, November 8, 2018

309/365/Place

“It’s foreign but familiar. Or is that familiar but foreign?” Mali phrased this reaction to Europe so perfectly. The one time I seriously considered the possibility of past lives was my first time in Venice, when it all seemed so familiar, but in a way beyond what I’d seen in paintings, photos, films. I felt like I had personal history there. But does the mind play tricks? If I really had history, shouldn’t I be able to say more than due espresso, per favore?

4 comments:

  1. Kate and Casanova...or painted by Titian...

    ReplyDelete
  2. One retains the important information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaah, Venice. I do so adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember that feeling on the continent, but my first time in England I felt like I was finally at home.

    ReplyDelete