Monday, August 6, 2018

218/365/Poetry and Form

A long, long time ago—more than twenty years—I took an adult education poetry course from a writer friend. We were reading poetry, not writing. She had photocopied pages of poems, which we received before the class began. There were some I fell immediately in love with, all obviously written by the same person, but the name did not appear with the poems. They were clear, witty, touching. I asked her who wrote them. Billy Collins.

I’ve since heard him read several times (he has a friend who lives near here, so he comes round), gotten books and CD signed. Once, with that same writer friend, I was at a dinner table with him at the postreading gathering. I was way down the other end, though. The group got so loud we were asked to leave.

“Workshop.” “Consolation.” “Forgetfulness.” “Litany.” A friend had “Litany” read during her wedding ceremony.

But you know when something becomes so popular you’re afraid to admit you still like it? Sometimes I wonder if saying how much I like Billy Collins sounds like my saying how much I like Starbucks dark roasts. I had a mail-order subscription back when they were just this Seattle roaster, before they became what they’ve become. But the dark roasts were good then, and they still are. Yum.

9 comments:

  1. At a bar near the Geraldine Dodge Poetry Festival one year I overheard an unattractive guy state belligerently that it was NOT RIGHT that Billy Collins was the most popular poet in America. I guess the guy didn't understand the concept of popularity.

    I had the pleasure (pleasure doesn't quite cover it) of meeting Billy several times and hanging out with him and a few friends at a jazz club one evening. Among other things, we talked about the heady power of making people laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So we have both met Billy Collins, but not each other. Hmmmmm.

      Delete
  2. All you need to say is you liked something before it was cool to like it. You're a thought leader. And I'll take your word on Starbucks coffee. I'm a one woman boycott of the S stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing I buy in a Starbucks store is whole beans. Occasionally an iced black cold brew if in an emergency situation.

      Delete
  3. I love Billy Collins. It isn't basic at all to say that.because most basic people won't even know who he is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. His ode to a lanyard and "forgetfulness"are my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know Billy Collins (though I'm going to say it's because I'm from NZ not because I'm basic), So I just looked him up, and oh, Forgetfulness. That hits home.
    And also, as I type this, I have a vague memory of the ode to a lanyard, because lanyard is not a word or poem title you forget.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best tables after readings always get too loud, as I remember. I admire the ease of BC's poetry, his keen ear to the music of simple words. Love Susan's memory - the audacity of the poet to make us laugh! And he does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our Scottish friends love Billy Collins but, although I know who he is, have never seen him perform or read any of his work.

    ReplyDelete