Tuesday, July 31, 2018

212/365/Books

Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner are sacred texts to me. If I had the coin, I’d have first British editions sitting on a bookshelf. Instead I have both books in The World of Pooh, which is the two books together, first released this way in 1957. I grew up with a copy of it, and after I got married and moved to DC, I bought my own copy. Tim and I read it to each other. (Yes, sometimes we’re that couple.) I practically know it chapter and verse. Do not quote Disney Pooh to me. Your Disney Pooh quotes are not Winnie-the-Pooh.

I’m not asking anybody. I’m just telling everybody.

[I do have a fondness for some of those cartoons going ’round in which Pooh mentions that Trump is still president and Piglet says “Fuck.” But I really like the word fuck, and I happen to agree with the sentiment, and I see this more as parody, not as something trying to pass itself off as Winnie-the-Pooh.]

Admittedly, I did see the film Goodbye Christopher Robin. I liked it. Admittedly, I will likely see Disney’s Christopher Robin. Because Ewan McGregor, and the animation looks well done. But the trailer certainly hasn’t picked up any language from the original books, and the writing seems stilted. We’ll see.

Yers,
Eeyore

8 comments:

  1. And do you also have Winnie ille Pu?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to! It did not survive a purge, I don't think. I figured I was finished with it.

      Delete
  2. I really like the statement about really liking the word fuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Please give some thistles to Eeyore from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like the parodies and you are right, these are not trying to be actual winnie the pooh quotations :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this whole post. Because ... Pooh. Even though he was not part of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Pooh but I don't like the Disney versions.

    ReplyDelete