Monday, July 30, 2018

206/365/Books

The first book I ever read aloud all by myself when I learned to read was Margaret Hillert’s The Yellow Boat (1966). It’s taken me several tries to find this on the Internet, because all I could remember about the book was an impression of its cover: a blocky illustration of a yellow sailboat, but I wasn’t sure of the title (using sail in searches was not helpful). I’ve finally found the original cover online (as well as an updated one), and yes, that’s the book (in the Follett Just Beginning-to-Read Books series). I remember sitting in my dad’s lap and reading it out loud start to finish. I imagine that it may still be somewhere in That House—but this memory is from the House Before That.

5 comments:

  1. "(S)omewhere in That House" sent a shiver up my spine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful that you can remember (and were able to find) your first book. I have no idea what mine was. In school we did the Dick & Jane books, but I'd be surprised if my mother didn't teach me to read before that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember a set of cardstock books with animals teaching manners, good behavior, and potty training. And realizing that when my mother said the words, they corresponded to not just the pictures but the symbols.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This month of book blogging helped me to find a number of my childhood favourites. The happy memories stay with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminded me of a post I'd planned to write. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete