Monday, July 30, 2018

204/365/Books

I hadn’t committed to reading a series of novels for years, until last year, when I read all the Elena Ferrante Neapolitan novels. We’d read My Brilliant Friend in book group in March 2016. I thought my sister would like these books, and I wanted to read them, and I wanted to NOT bring more books into my house, so I bought the other three (The Story of a New Name, Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay, The Story of the Lost Child) and gave all four to her for Christmas that year, with the understanding that she would loan them back to me as she finished each one. Which she did. Although I think it’s possible I got AHEAD of her. I’m not sure. Anyway, I got to read them, and it was just so blissful to be lost in another world for awhile. I want that to happen again someday.

4 comments:

  1. I'm unfamiliar with this series, so I looked at Amazon. It says "soon to be an HBO series." I don't have HBO (not even close), but the books went on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not surprised they'll make a series. I can feel myself bristling, but it'll probably be great.

      Delete
  2. I found these an uncomfortable read - though I couldn't put them down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only read My Brilliant Friend and I didn't love it -- but didn't hate it either. I know that lots of people love the series though including Clare's well-read boss.

    ReplyDelete